Thursday, May 14, 2015

The End of An Era


 

May 14, 2015

The End of an Era

 

My fishing partner and I have a theory that when we break something while fishing or lose something valuable, we often have a pretty good day.  We are or I am very hard on my fishing equipment.  I have friends that say it’s Griffithsized, or basically just destroyed by the time I touch something.  I like to think I just use my equipment.  I fish something like 5 days a week in the spring.  Spring for me is March 1st through May 15th give or take.  But really the best fishing for the true giants is winter until opening day of the striped bass season.  Well, I’m about to tell a story of the last day of the catch and release Susquehanna Flats Fishery on May 3, 2015.  This is an area that the DNR made an exception to allow fishing in a spawning area because many businesses, fishermen and fishing guides rallied together to allow fishing to continue.  The MD DNR made an exception to allow catch and release fishing for striped bass in an area known as a spawning ground.  Money talks, screw the fish it’s for the money.  But hey, I’ll play.  These fish sometimes gather in incredible numbers in the spring on the flats.  However, the last few years the fishing has been less than stellar.  Many guides have given up and headed home.  The “fleet” of aluminum and fiberglass boats has vanished.  Most people now a days are largemouth bass or perch fishing out on the area known to Chesapeake Bay fisherman as the “flats.”  But one has to believe.  If they show up there historically, then they will show up there again.  That was my friend John and my thought anyway. 

 

So, what broke or what did we lose do you ask?  Well, I’ve had an SUV since a year after I graduated college.  I bought my first new car in July of 2002.  I wanted 4 wheel drive, something that could tow, something manly and tough to help me feed my fishing addiction.  I bought a trailblazer that has fit the bill well.  It has gone through 3 boats.  Towed much of its life, driven all over Assateguge island on the days I did not own a boat.  Still has sand under the skid plates to this day…. It’s basically been slimed by every fish species in the North America and has served me well, over 218k miles.  Lately however the Transmission has been slipping.  Lately like the last 4 months.  I just keep driving it.  The differential is just about toast also.  But it was April, hands down the best month of the year to fish for everything that swims.  I need to get out there.  I just figured if it died I’d catch a cab to a dealer or enterprise for the day.  But when you are towing a boat everywhere every other day, that could get complicated.  Well, on Sunday afternoon, May 3, 2015 I was set to meet John at a park and ride along I-70 with boat in tow to head 80 miles north to fish the top of the bay.  To find the last of the spring run.  The Susquehanna usually runs about a week or two behind the Potomac, my home river.  Even though it was near the end of the run, it should be about prime on the flats.  Except all the reports were dismal.  Every report I read was that the fish are not there, the water is too muddy, too cold…. But there was still hope.  We can check live NOAA bouy data and get accurate turbidity (water clarity) and temperature readings.  Sure we could fish the Potomac.  It served me well this year.  Two fish over 50 pounds on my beloved river this spring, a day in mid April that only lives in your dreams when your best friend visits and we stumble across a giant school of lure eating spring spawners.  But there were a few skunks too.  Just a few days before this trip I was skunked when it came to fish with stripes.  Sure I caught dozens of American shad on the fly rod and a few 30 pound catfish on artificial lures.. anyone anywhere would call that an epic day but for me at the beginning of May on the Potomac, I should have had double digit striped bass all day long as well.  Not sure what happened.  So John and I gambled on the Flats.  I’m driving my car down the road to meet john at the rendezvous spot and my tranny just goes.  My RPMS hit the roof and I’m barely moving!  With boat in tow!  I have a line of a dozen cars behind me now and I’m just creeping along. NOOO! Not now.  I was literally a mile from John.  I tell him he’s got to drive.  I limp to meet him, switch the trailer to his truck and we are off.  I have no idea how I’m getting home but I can worry about that later. 

 

It’s mid Afternoon on the last day.  The flats close to targeting striped bass at midnight.  It’s a full moon, we plan to fish late but I’ve got an appointment for work at 8am. Oh well… it’s the last day on the best time of the year.  Drink a red bull or ten.  Fishing at night on the flats was a good way historically to avoid the flotilla of boats that used to be out there when the fishing was good.  Striped bass feed well at night all up and down the coast and it holds well for our area also.  And guess what… no body around here does it… well, except for John and I.  I think in 15 years fishing the flats I’ve seen about 2 boats out there well after sunset and I think those two boats were kayaks.  Sure people fish the river after dark but not the skinny water up on the flat.  I bet you could even run planner boars and troll the shipping channel after dark and do well but trolling is about as much fun as petting a cactus.  With night fishing you get an awesome bite in the evening or at last light and then things just die out for some reason.  Well, at first dark, the fish need time to acclimate.  So give it a little while and fish after true dark, say an hour or two after sunset.  By now the fish know what’s up and figured out how to use their senses again.  It’s almost like the change in the tide.  Give the fish time to figure out where the bait will set up and how the current flows.. they’ll go back to their same haunts time and time again.  John and I fish hard up on the flat with an incoming tide and a fading sun.  John found his old school hand held GPS that is pushing 12 years or more old.  It’s got dozens of marks of trenches and honey holes from the years of the haydays.  But back then, say 2004 time frame I think you could fish in Tidings parking lot and hammer the fish.  It was so easy a rookie could do it.  Oh, we were rookies back then.  Well, it’s near the finest hour now and John and I are skunked.  Not a darn fish.  I’m cursing the place like I did a week or two before when john and I slept in our trucks to allow us to fish as long as possible.  We took a skunk then too but the river was much higher and muddier, so was the flats.  We head down south to the old faithful, never fail spot.  The spot that used to be littered in fiberglass.  The spot where guides used to anchor next to each other in unison and block the regulars from fishing just so their clients could hog all the fish.  Many, many a 50 ponder have come from here in 5 feet of water.  We have a good incoming tide and I think it was the second cast I hook up.  The fish hit inches from the boat and is now airborne.  Nice 28 inch football.  Exactly what we were looking for.  Now let’s just hope for some numbers.  Sure enough, he and all his friends and fat girlfriends were there, ready to party.  There wasn’t another boat for as far as the eye could see.  Could this be real we thought?  The sun was just setting below the trees, we were rasing against time but the fish had arrived!  We were in the middle of acres of bass.  Our shallow diving stick baits were bouncing off the backs of stripers on every cast.  We were getting slammed about every 5th cast from all sizes of fish.  The smaller guys like mid 20 inch size were a lot easier to hook and land but even they threw the hook often.  I don’t know what it was but we just couldn’t land a biggun.  The two treble hooks were working against each other it seemed.  When a large striped bass hit the lure in 4 feet of water, they have nowhere to go.  They can’t dive deep like they usually do.  So they go up.  I kid you not, a 40 inch 25 pound striper will go air born under these conditions.  Or at least try.  They kick and roll on the line at first.  Well that’s after an arm jolting strike where they literally try and steal your rod.  During this rolling process, they often dislodge the lure.  We should have removed a treble hook or used good quality J hooks on the slip rings instead of trebles.  Sure we tried top water but the fish would hit top water very rarely.  Like one out of 20 casts.  We wanted action.  John had not caught a striper almost all spring!? So action we got on floating crystal minnows and Diawa SP minnows.  At one point john hooked about a 15 pound low 30 inch striper and it rolled at first and literally jumped, completely airborne like a smallmouth.  When it landed it spooked the sea of fish that were in the area and the whole place just exploded.  Earlier we had seen many swirls as our boat drifted over the fish. We knew there were good numbers of fish around but nowhere near that many?  From all around the boat to near 50 yards away this enormous school took off all at once with thousands of swirls and splashes happening simultaneously.  It was insane.  All we could do was watch in aww.  Or take another cast.  We had to move… like 20 yards to hook up again.  A trolling motor is essential out there.  I wish I had a power pole too.  Stealth is key.  We used to have to start our engine, just like the flotilla of guides that were all Parkers without trolling motors used to have to do.  But back then it didn’t matter.  There were so many fish that if you spooked that school, you’d just move a 100 yards and be on them again.  Well, that’s how it was for us on the last day.  So I broke a car and hammered the fish.  We found gold.  Oh how sweet it is when a plan comes together like that.  It almost makes up for all those skunks and poor days.  But again, every day I keep thinking of that line, “It’s not always the fish we are after.”  Sometimes just taking in the wild is pleasure enough.  And that night it was truly wild.  We didn’t land nearly as many fish as we should have.  There were probably thousands of fish stacked in layers all around us and often times we call a blank on our casts.  It didn’t seem possible.  Or these big giant fish would just have their way with us.  WE didn’t break any fish off, our hooks were sharp but they just knew how to get away from us stupid fishermen.  These fish had done this a time or two before.  So we each landed a few fish in that flurry of action before sunset and were quite happy.  By now the sun was long gone and the first dark hit.  Sure enough it slowed to a crawl.  Then to top it off the tide slowed to nothing.  What most people would do at this point is run home.  F that.  The moon was looking marvelous.  Even just staying out there to watch the stunning bright moon rise over the bay from the east would have been worth it.  But when we had the majority of the upper bay’s spawning stock around the boat… we weren’t going anywhere.  They will turn on again, just be patient grasshopper..  Well, it worked.  Waiting till true dark, like dark 30 or let’s say 10pm was the ticket.  Now for some reason we were able to hook and land these bastards.  Like the fish hit the lure with more accuracy or something.  The same pattern happened again. Swirls happening here there and everywhere around us.  And I mean giant swirls.  These were legendary fish.  The kind that only shows up this time of year and vanishes just days later.  These are the repeat spawners, the biggest fish of the entire stock.  Who knows, there could have been 100 pound striped bass around us.  We caught a few of the bigguns and it was just awesome.  My big fish of the night went 44 inches and probably met with 40 pounds as she was just as girthy as they come.  This fish hit almost when I was taking my lure out of the water.  This was not the first fish to do that either that night.  When this happens the chaos that proceeds is just stupid.  I should have been doing more figure 8’s musky style.  I did a few that came up empty. A good musky fishermen knows that a figure 8 is essential every time, after every cast.  We did some minor lure modifications that I’ll hold to myself for now.  They were John’s idea that he read somewhere.  Just a little add on to the rear slip ring of the stick bait but sure enough does this work.  Every time I see it I’m like ahhhh, that’s BS.  I don’t need it.  Well, after watching John do the dosy doe around the boat a few times on his 4th fish to my zero… you’ll change.  I’m no dummy.  He hooks me up with this little add on and it’s off to the races.  I’m hooked up like the 4th cast to the giant.  After releasing the fish I had to do the two step on the deck of the boat.  My own little happy dance.  I did it.  I set out for a giant in shallow water and succeeded.  Everything is gravy now.  My car problems just vanished.  Everything was right in the world.  I didn’t need to take another cast.  Now I just sat back and took in the scenery… in the middle of the night, full moon over head, swirls and splashes like little kids playing in a pool from all around us from one side of the bay to the other it seemed.  This is just cool I thought.  We fished some more of course but then we looked at the time.  It was 1216am.  It’s closed.  Time to go home.  We had to make an 8 mile run in a 16’ aluminum boat.  There were still floating mines of logs all over the flats.  Hopefully the moon will be my guide and sure enough it didn’t let me down. 
 



 
So how did I get home?  Well, I lost my two high gears of my transmission.  John drove me to the meeting spot and I had another 20 miles to do and my top speed was about 25mph up the hills and about 40 down.  Who cares.  I just got on a lifetime striped bass bite in shallow water.  My truck could catch on fire right now and I’d could care less.  She lived an honorable life.  She died an honorable death.  I made it home about 330am still grinning.  The next day I read the “Flats reports” on my fishing websites.  Every one saying they threw the kitchen sink and didn’t touch a fish.  I couldn’t say anything.  I knew those fish were still there and even though off limits my report online would attract unwanted attention.  People would still go and beat up on those fish and say they were largemouth fishing.  They do need a break to do their thing.  Water temps were as high as 64 degrees when we were on the fish.  DNR was nowhere to be found.  Why patrol and area that has no fish or fishermen?  Well, that’s what they thought anyway.  Till next year.

 

As I type this the fish are hitting the Delmarva Beaches hard.  Assateauge Virginia just closed its ORV zone because of nesting birds, just in time for the mass of fish.  For some reason the Va portion of Assateague Island gets covered up with giant stripers.  The MD portion however is considerably slower.  Giant blue fish have invaded much of Delaware.   This is very rare.  Usually it’s a NJ thing to have huge blues around. They are littered in Indian River inlet, even the smaller inlets are producing double digit blue fish.  The flats at the mouth of the chesapeake bay are filled with giant bull red drum and sight casting in gin clear water to spawned out cows is happening right now on the flats at the mouth of the bay.  This phenomenon does not last long.  Early to mid may that’s it.  The bull reds will be there well through May but the stripers in the skinny are probably already fading. The bull reds will later move out of the white water and head to the deeper shoals off the bridge at the mouth of the bay for much of the summer.  But right now they are in the white water, In the skinny.  In the fun zone as I like to call it.  Shallow water fishing at its finest.  I’ve burned about every last vacation day.  I’ve tested the patience of my wife to the limit.  My fishing needs to take a chill pill for a little while.  My house and yard has weeds growing out of weeds.  Things are falling apart and require my attention.  I did catch two snakehead yesterday in about an hour’s effort.  Quick easy drive up spot in Downtown where they tend to stack up this time of year.   Good fun but they just aren’t striped bass in 4 feet of water.   I don’t know what compares to that that is accessible in a 16’ john boat.  Anyway, tight lines.   I saw freshly hatched ducklings and goslings the other day.  Some of the finest top water strikes of the year await us. It’s just about musky time.  Who’s ready? 





      

No comments:

Post a Comment