Friday, March 3, 2017

Mother nature is on crack


We've had 70 degree days for a few weeks and then finally today we get hit with a little snow and 30 degree temps.  Daffodils, forsythia, pear trees, maple's budding, herring in the creeks, striped bass in the rivers!!!  it's on!  Or should be.  I got skunked three days now down on the Potomac.  Not sure what's up.  I think I just suck.  I heard better reports from other people.  Even the susky has fish, both some shad, herring and convict bass.  The time is near for everything to explode.  I have never seen herring in the creeks in the numbers there were in February.  I could have caught a big striper in DC in February!!! But didn't try the right spots, no boat and day old bait.  Thought I had a good thump on a jig but no go.  The crappie bite is still hot.  Heard the walleye bite was good but I got skunked last Friday with Ryan.  I’ve been fishing like a maniac like always. 

Two weeks ago John and I put 4 musky in the boat in a half day's effort.  We’ve never had a 4 fish day before and three of them came within 10 minutes of each other!  That tells me they are on the spawn or warming up to it.  The one fish I caught looked spawned out!  Then there were two tiny skinny musky caught immediately afterwards and then John finally stuck a good fish on a glider just as he paused it.  So that made him happy.  Not sure what I’m doing this weekend.  I’m kid free, no sports but there’s a cold front sitting on us with a decent amount of wind coming with it.  That’s no fun.  Sunday will get better and of course next week will be perfect.  Mid spring like conditions coming again next week, just in time for the work week.  But I have almost two weeks leave and a month or more sick.  I plan on using all of it in the next two months.  Minus the sick.  Just saying. 

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.griffiths.750/videos/10212069441993582/

Alewife river herring spawning in Washington DC on February 25, 2017. 

Forsythia, aka Shadbush blooming along GW
 
Garter snakes out crawling around on Feb 20th!  Great crappie bite too.
 
Here's a decent musky from Feb 19th.  Caught 4 that day.  This guy almost looks spawned out!
 
 
 
 
 
 
John with a good one from the 19th right at sunset.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment